Designed with Mr. Rupert Neve, the RN17 redefines the capabilities of an SDC.
This is the world's first pencil microphone with a large-scale, hand-wound, ultra high performance transformer.
The second product of the sE / Rupert Neve collaboration, work on the RN17 began with a discussion between Rupert and Siwei Zou on the merits and problems of small-diaphragm condensers.
According to Siwei, "The SDC's problem is that they have a very clear sound - the SPL is high, but the sound is very cold, not like with a large diaphragm. The quality of the transformer can make the sound much, much better - but with a small transformer, nobody can do it."
"Rupert told me, 'I want THIS transformer.' I said, 'That transformer is too big. This is a small-capsule microphone. Impossible.' He said, 'I want the impossible to be possible.'"
THE SMALL DIAPHRAGM
With a 15mm diaphragm (the world's smallest production gold-sputtered diaphragm), the transient response of the RN17 is unparalleled.
Such a small capsule reacts extremely quickly, and is therefore adept at picking up the most delicate of high-frequency content.
However, a tiny diaphragm usually results in a lack of low-frequency response. How to counter this?
THE MASSIVE TRANSFORMER
Made obvious by the unusual chassis shape, the RN17's transformer is substantially larger than the norm. This full-scale transformer was custom-designed by Rupert Neve specifically for this microphone - and nobody has been designing audio transformers longer (or better) than Rupert Neve.
With an audio transformer of this magnitude, the RN17 is able to put out astonishing clarity across ALL frequencies - not just the highs. The midrange is detailed and forward, the lows are full and accurate, and the whole microphone has a balance and headroom never before achieved with a small-capsule microphone.
MATTE BLACK FINISH
The matte black finish minimizes the level of visual attention drawn to the microphone when used on stage or in the studio, allowing it to blend into the background.
The RN17 ships with a cardioid capsule, but the wooden box has room for additional capsules in the form of omni, cardioid cut, hypercardioid, and figure-8. These capsules can be utilized for enhanced room sound (omni), low frequency control (cardioid cut) greater side rejection (hypercardioid), or mid-side recording techniques (figure-8).
CUSTOM SHOCK MOUNT
Every RN17 includes a custom-designed, sturdy, protective, and easy-to-use shock mount, which is essential to reducing the unwanted effects of vibration or knocks to the supporting microphone stand.
RN17 Factory-Matched Stereo Pair
When purchased as a pair, the transformers and cardioid capsules are factory-matched for perfect tolerance, guaranteeing the best possible stereo image.
This configuration also includes a precision stereo mounting bar, two shock mounts, a wooden presentation case, and empty canisters for future capsule additions. The whole setup comes packaged inside a secure flight case.
- OMNI: Especially when used with an RN17 Stereo Pair, omni capsules can be used to capture amazing room effects for drums, pianos, and orchestras.
- CARDIOID CUT: The frequency response and polar pattern are the same as the standard cardioid capsule, but with an integrated bass cut to gently roll off low frequencies beginning at 100Hz.
- HYPERCARDIOID: Exhibiting greater side-rejection than a traditional cardioid capsule, hypercardioid is useful for precisely capturing a specific instrument while ignoring other nearby sources.
- FIGURE-8: This capsule can be used on its own, or paired with a cardioid or hypercardioid on a second RN17 in a mid-side mic technique for incredibly true-to-life stereo imaging.
- Capsule Type: Hand-Crafted True Condenser
- Diaphragm: 17.2mm Gold/Mylar (21mm with Figure-8)
- Directional Pattern: Cardioid, Cardioid w/ Low Cut, Hyper Cardioid, Omni, Figure-8 capsules
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 5.96 mV/Pa (-44.5dB)
- Sensitivity (Figure-8): 2.51 mV/Pa (-52dB)
- Max SPL: 131 dB (0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 76 dB (cardioid), 25.5 dB (Figure-8)
- Self Noise: 18 dB(A) (cardioid), 15 dB(A) (omni)
- Pass Filter: 100 Hz (with Cardioid Cut capsule only)
- Matching Connectors: XLR3F
- Power requirement: 48V phantom
- Weight: 320g / 11.32oz
- Weight (Figure-8): 330g / 11.64oz
- Diameter: 44 mm (transformer), 17mm (capsule)
- Length: 200 mm