The Series 80B rack unit is derived from the legendary Series 80B Consoles designed by Trident Audio Developments in the late 1970’s. It incorporates an exact replica of the mic preamp and equalizer design that gave the original console its unique sound. These consoles have been used to record just about every major artist in the past three decades, including Elton John, Dire Straits, David Bowie, Rod Stewart and Stevie Wonder to name but a few. More recently they have been used to record artists such as Radiohead and Pavarotti.
The Trident Audio Developments Series 80B rack unit brings with it a historic pedigree and is offered at a price that is now affordable to all studios and home recordists.
The sound and the circuitry of the consoles used to record countless hit records.
In the late ’70s Trident Audio developed a new series of recording consoles to update Trident’s sound for a new generation of musical talent. The result was the Trident Series 80, the sound of which quickly became a favorite among the top artists. The Series 80B doesn’t just capture the sound of these legendary consoles, it is the exact same painstakingly re-created circuitry.
Equipped with preamps that are great for both microphones and outboard gear.
True to the original design the 80B channel strip incorporates transformer coupled microphone preamps designed to achieve professional results from a wide range of sources. Which is why the Series 80 consoles originally were built to handle signal levels from -60dBu to +15dBu. Despite its extreme gain range, the Series 80B preamp sounds amazingly smooth, accommodating a wide range of input levels with a frequency response that extends to above 20kHz – all with near-theoretical-minimum noise performance. It’s the kind of sound quality that’s inspired many engineers and artists to create better-sounding music.
The Series 80B iconic 4-band equalizer lets you tune your sound to perfection.
The Series 80B rack comes equipped with one of Trident’s most sought after 4-band equalizers. Loaded with frequency-switchable high and low shelving sections, as well as sweepable low-mid and high-mid bands and a switchable 50Hz, 12dB per octave filter, the Series 80B gives you an exceptional degree of control over your sound. The Series 80B’s highly resonant Q peaks are particularly favored by many top engineers for tuning instrument tones. There’s no limit to what you can create with this classic channel strip in your rig!
Trident Series 80B Features:
- The original discrete, transistor-balanced circuitry developed in the late ’70s for the Trident Series 80 recording consoles
- Balanced inputs and outputs ensure the highest sound quality
- Independent preamplifiers that are perfect for both microphones and line-level sources
- Switchable 48-volt phantom power available on both preamps
- 4-band equalizers with classic Series 80 console resonance
- Selectable pre-/post-EQ insert point lets you incorporate your outboard gear wherever you want it in the signal path
- LED peak meter lets you keep an eye on your overall gain to prevent distortion
- Microphone:1.2k ohm transformer balanced
- Line:15k ohm electronically balanced
- Output Impedance:Less than 100 ohm electronically balanced
- Microphone:-15dB to +60dB
- Line: -15dB to +10dB
- Microphone: Less than-128dBu ref 150 ohm (20Hz-20kHz)
- Line: Less than-85dBu (EQ In 20Hz-20kHz)
- Mic Input: +24dBu at all frequencies
- Line Input: +24dBu at all frequencies
- Mic Input: Less than 0.05% T.H.D. (-50dBu input +4dBu output)
- Line Input: Less than 0.05% T.H.D. (+4dBu input +4dBu output)
- Mic Input: ±1dB 20Hz to 20kHz
- Line Input: ±1dB 20Hz to 20kHz
- Nominal Operating Level: +4dBu
- Peak LED Threshold: +10dBu
In accordance with our policy of continuing product improvement, we reserve the right to alter specifications without prior notice.