Buzz Audio first manufactured the SOC-1.1 in 1999 and it brought to the market an optical (light dependent resistor) compressor with more user control than what was available at the time (LA series for example). The unit was immensely popular and Buzz built hundreds of them, but the construction was a bit messy and time consuming, so, the SOC-1.1 was retied and replaced with the Buzz Audio Velox Optical Compressor!
The Velox sports the same amazing compression character of the original SOC-1.1 but Buzz Audio have added a MIX control so you can blend the input signal with the compressor output. It also includes a BASS filter into the side chain to reduce the sensitivity of the compressor at low frequencies. The upgraded "DC" version of the Velox, available here, features high-end Class A discrete transistor BE41 amplifiers.
The Velox is very easy to use for recording individual tracks or on the stereo mix buss because of the "soft knee" characteristic. The AUTO attack and release settings have been perfected to provide natural compression and in many cases that's all you will ever need for acoustic or vocal work. The MIX control allows you to use the 20:1 (virtually brick wall limiting) compression and blend that with the input for more "heavy" sounds - the options are virtually endless - but what ever you choose works!
CONTROLS AND FUNCTIONS:
- DRIVE: turning it clock wise increases compression, which is way more sensible than counter clock wise!
- MAKEUP: variable control that adds up to 15 dB gain after the compressor section to correct for lost level
- MIX: variable control that allows you to mix between the input signal and the compressor output (post the makeup control)
- COMP IN: Push button switch to bypass or engage the compressor, (hard wire bypass)
- BASS: Push button switch that engages a high-pass filter into the side chain to reduce the sensitivity of the compressor at low frequencies.=
- METER G.R./O.P.: Push button switch to select the display on the VU meter of the amount of gain reduction or the output level
- ATTACK: rotary switch with FAST (1mS) 25mS, 50mS selections plus our excellent AUTO mode
- RELEASE: rotary switch selects recovery time of 100mS, 200mS, 400mS, 800mS, 1600mS and a superb AUTO mode
- RATIO: rotary switch with 4 settings for depth of compression, 2:1, 5:1, 10:1, 20:1
- There is also a handy power ON/OFF switch and a channel A/B LINK switch which soft links the sidechain circuit, useful when used on stereo mixes
- The same compressor characteristic as the original SOC-1.1 but with additional features
- DC version utilizes Buzz Audio BE41 discrete opamps
- Smooth soft knee compression - does not dig holes in your tracks
- Mix control for blending the uncompressed and compressed signal further enhances the ratio selections
- Side chain high pass filter (bass mode) for more bass punch on full mixes
- Boutique hand made with loving care in New Zealand
- All high quality components and controls to last a life time