Phoenix DRS Mic Preamp/DIs
A Versatile, Modern Class-A Mic Preamp/DI
Available in mono (1/2RU or 500-series), stereo (1RU) or in 8-channels (2RU), the Phoenix DRS Mic Preamp/DIs take a modern approach to Class-A circuit design that delivers a wide range of tones without sacrificing the beloved vibe of true Class-A design. The unique DRS circuit can go from ultra-clean sounds suitable for audiophile recordings all the way to the warm, saturated tones reminiscent of the UK's most heralded vintage designs. Versatility and superior sound have made the DRS Preamp/DI a top-tier choice for engineers around the world and a modern day classic.
Hi-Fi Transformerless Mic Input Stage
Our exclusive electronically-balanced, transformerless mic input circuit delivers fast transients and the full frequency spectrum (from sub-bass to the highest air band), while still delivering the full, warm and smooth characteristics that make engineers love Class-A mic preamps. Boldly outperforming transformer-based designs in both the frequency response and slew rate, the DRS delivers articulate, punchy and full-bodied input signals, allowing you to drive the output stage for a vast range of pure Class-A tones—from bold clarity to vintage warmth, and everything in-between.
Legendary Transformer-Balanced Output Stage
Our custom-wound DB694 output transformer is coupled to Phoenix's proprietary, fully discrete DSOP-2 output amplifier. The DSOP-2 is a direct descendent of the venerable TF1 amp which Phoenix's head-designer, David Rees, developed as an upgrade for vintage Neve modules. Going beyond the TF1, the DSOP2 is the pinnacle of Class-A output circuit design, offering up a smooth transition from ultra-clean to beautifully saturated tones.
Ultra-High Impedance DI Circuit
The DRS-1, DRS-2, DRS-8 and DRS1R-500 include very high input impedance DI circuits (10Mohm)—remarkably featuring no FETs—on every channel. This design means that guitar and bass pickups are not loaded, allowing the natural sound of both modern and vintage instruments to shine and actually enhancing the sound, sparkle and growl as if they were plugged into your favorite amp. Synths, drum machines, and even laptops can likewise be sweetened by the DRS's DI.
Easy and Intuitive In The Studio
Because you're working with a clean, robust, electronically-balanced input signal, the DRS Mic Preamp/DI makes dialing in your exact sound easy, intuitive and quick. By working the familiar stepped input gain control (up to 70db alone) and the -30dB pad against the variable output fader (which provides an additional 10dB of gain), you can dial in your preferred tones without having to consider an overly complex gain architecture. It's all about driving the versatile DSOP-2 output stage to your exacting tastes, whatever they may be in any given moment. Like so many other engineers, you'll find yourself reaching for the DRS Mic Preamp/DI over and over again to reliably deliver a vast array of outstanding sounds for any instrument or voice you're recording.
Features of DRS Mic Preamp/DI
- Phoenix Audio's unique Class A, transformerless, true-balanced mic input stage
- Phoenix Audio's transformer-balanced DSOP-2 Class-A discrete output stage with custom wound DB694 output transformer
- Wired with PTFE silver plated military grade cable
- -30dB input pad
- High Pass Filter: -6dB per octave @ 120Hz
- LED Gain Metering
- Push buttons: Hi-Pass, 48v, Phase Reverse, Switchable 48V phantom power on push-button switch
- High Pass Filter on Push-button Switch (Roll-off -6dB per octave @ 80Hz)
- Phase Reverse on Push-Button Switch
- Mic Pre Gain Range: -30 to -70 in 5dB steps With 10dB more available on the ouput fader.
- Output = +26dBu @ 1kHz, Noise = -90dB @ 20Hz to 20kHz.
- Frequency Response Mic Input Stage: -0.4dB @ 40Hz, -0.3dB @ 25kHz
- Frequency response Class A (DSOP-2) output stage: 20Hz to 20kHz +- 0.5dB, Maximum
Channels Format DI Hi-Pass Filter
DRS-1 1 1/2RU yes yes
DRS1R-500 1 API yes yes
DRS-2 2 1RU yes yes
DRS-8 MKII 8 2RU yes yes
Phoenix DRS Gyrator EQs
An EQ As Versatile As It Is Unique
Phoenix Audio's DRS Gyrator EQ (as found in the DRSQ4 mk2) is one of today's most unique and musical EQs, allowing an incredible variety of sounds useful for everything from clean high-headroom mix buss tone shaping to deep frequency carving to smooth Class-A circuit saturation. Available either as a mono 500-series module (running at 24v) or coupled to two of our remarkable Class-A DRS Mic Preamp/DIs in a stereo 1RU unit, the DRS Gyrator EQ is as powerful as it is fun to use.
4-Bands of Gyration
The Gyrator EQ was first developed during what most consider the golden age of solid-state analog audio design: the 1970s. Originally designed to emulate the characteristics of an active inductor EQ (think Neve, API), the Gyrator EQ uses a rather clever combination of an amplifier, resistors and capacitors to accomplish incredibly smooth and musical frequency modifications. The modern-day Phoenix DRS Gyrator EQ gives you High, High-Mid, Low-Mid and Low frequency bands, each notched to proven frequencies from a shimmering 15kHz on down to a thumping 40Hz. There's also a high pass filter at 80Hz, which can eliminate rumble or be used "against" low-end boosts for an extra range of unique EQ curves (think: Pultec). Even at extreme boosts and cuts, the DRS Gyrator EQ's uniquely musical filters maintain the core quality of your original signal, allowing you to make bold, gut-level EQ moves that won't sound harsh, slurred or out of phase. Used more subtly, these four filters are capable of highly coherent tone shaping suitable for full mixes and mastering.
Driving the Output Circuit for More Tone Shaping
Phoenix Audio's renown DSOP-2 output amplifier, with its custom-wound transformer, is able to deliver everything from ultra-clean signals with abundant headroom to fat, fully saturated tones. By lowering the input attenuator and boosting the output signal, one can drive the DSOP-2 output stage for a wide variety of lush, Class-A saturation. Or, do the opposite—back off on the output while boosting the input—and you'll get huge, clean, hi-fi tones. Many engineers even use the DRS Gyrator EQ completely flat in order to simply add the musicality of our proprietary amplifier circuits.
Versatile And Effortless, Day After Day
The DRS Gyrator EQ is a powerfully versatile, high-quality studio tool. Unlike many Class-A EQs that just do "their thing" due to inherent distortion characteristics, the DRS Gyrator EQ keeps the input signal clean, making it possible for the engineer to keep tones transparent or saturate them to taste. Importantly, doing so is effortless and intuitive due to the DRS Gyrator's straight-forward design and unerring musicality. Those who own this EQ tell us that it quickly becomes their "go to EQ"—used effortlessly every day across a vast variety of instruments, voices and full mixes.
- DRS-EQ/500 Gyrator EQ 500: mono 500 series without Preamp/DI (operates at 24v)
- DRSQ4 MKII Gyrator EQ with Preamp/DI: Stereo 1RU with our DRS Series Preamp/DI.
- DRSQ4M MKII Gyrator EQ with Preamp/DI: Mono 1/2RU with our DRS Series Preamp/DI.
- 4 Bands of Gyrator EQ + High-Pass Filter
- High – 15K, 10K
- Hi Mid – 6K, 3K, 1K6
- Low Mid – 800Hz, 400Hz, 200Hz
- Low – 130Hz, 80Hz, 40Hz
- High Pass Filter at 80Hz, 12dB/octave
- 16dB Cut/Boost Per Band
- all EQ bands are stepped/detented to 21 positions for easy recall & stereo operations for mastering or the mix bus.
- DRS-EQ/500 has an overall output level with +15db of additional gain even while the EQ is in bypass, allowing the output fader to be used to drive the output stage & transformer to colour & saturate your sound, again even when the EQ is in bypass. (How can we not say "output" 3 times in the same sentence)?
- Phoenix Audio's Class-A DSOP-2 Output Amplifier with custom-wound transformer.
- 1U unit: With 240V/110V mains voltage input selector switch
- Class A (DSOP-2) Output specs. Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz +- 0.5dB,
- Maximum Output Level: +26dBu @ 1kHz
- Noise: -90dB @ 20Hz to 20kHz.
- Output connections: XLR and TSR 1/4″ Jack on rear
- Phoenix Audio’s unique Class A, transformer-less, True balanced Mic input stage.
- Phoenix Audio’s custom wound output transformer.
- Microphone/Line input: XLR on Rear Panel
- DI inputs: ¼” TS Jack on Front Panel
- Individual Earth Lift: Push-button Switches
- Gain Range (Mic input): -30 to -70 in 5dB steps With 10dB more available on the fader.
- Gain reduction: -30dB push-button Mic/Line switch (Mic input)
- High Input Impedance DI: Mono 1/4″ Jack on front panel (no FETs)
- Gain Meter: LED Metering. (Green = 0dB, Yellow = +8dB, corresponding to “4” and “6” on a PPM Meter).
- Phantom Power: Switchable phantom on Push-button Switch
- High Pass Filter: Roll-off starts at 120Hz @ 12dB per Octave.
- Phase Reverse: on Push-button Switch
- Frequency Response Mic Input Stage: -0.4dB @ 40Hz, -0.3dB @ 25kHz
- Frequency Response: DI Input Stage: -0.3dB @ 40Hz, – 0.5dB @ 25kHz
- Typical Headroom: +26dB on Mic-Pre stage
- Gyratory-based EQ Frequency Centres: (4 Bands) High – 15K, 10K, Hi Mid – 6K, 3K, 1K6, Low Mid – 800Hz, 400Hz, 200Hz, Low – 130Hz, 80Hz, 40Hz
- EQ Cut/Boost Levels: 16dB Cut/Boost Per Band with fully detented pots in 21 positions
- DI Stage gain: Maximum of 30dB
- All units are wired with PTFE silver military grade cable