The Maag Audio PreQ2-500 is a single-channel, 500 Series version microphone preamp with the same circuit topology and sound as their top-of-the line Maag Audio PREQ2 Dual-Channel Strip with Air Band. The PreQ2-500 has a total of 71 dB of Class A gain that starts with the same Maag Audio-built nickel-core input transformer as the 1U dual channel PREQ2. Just like the PREQ2 Dual Channel Strip, it includes a front panel ¼-inch (1-meg-ohm) Instrument Input jack that when used, automatically routes its signal to the input transformer and also disconnects the 48 volt phantom power if already turned on.
The front panel continues with a ¼-inch Thru/Output jack that provides an unbalanced, isolated and boosted "duplicate" of either the low impedance microphone or the Instrument inputs. The Thru/Output signal is capable of driving a long line out to guitar amps in the studio and/or effects pedals effectively and without quality loss. Great for creating unique effects, you may "re-amp" and externally process either the low impedance microphone input signal or any instrument directly connected to the PREQ2's front panel ¼-inch input jack.
The PREQ2-500 has an Equivalent Input Noise (EIN) level of -128 dBu, +25 dBU of headroom, plus the acclaimed AIR BAND EQ with up to 9 dB of boost at your choice of 2.5, 5, 10, 20 and 40-kHz frequencies.
Microphone gain is continuously variable using a single, large control knob that is switchable between two gain ranges of either +20 dB to +42 dB for most recordings or +42 dB to +71 dB using the +25 dB boost button. This higher microphone gain is noise-free and perfect for very quiet sources like Foley/sound effects or low output, old vintage mics.
The compact front panel finishes with push-button switches for +48 volt phantom power on/off, -20 dB attenuation pad, a 70 Hz, 2nd order 12 dB/Oct high pass filter, phase or polarity reverse, and AIR BAND EQ on/off.
- The 70 Hz high pass filter activates a 2nd order, 12 dB/octave high pass filter
- The Air Band shelving allows selection of 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 40 kHz frequency choices with its own control and up to 9 dB of maximum boost
- Convenient front panel ¼-inch Instrument Input and Instrument/Microphone Thru outputs
- Discrete Class A transformer-coupled preamp with reamplification capabilities
- 71 dB of gain available, making it optimal for multiple instruments and ribbon mics
- The globally acclaimed Air Band, featured on numerous chart-topping records
- Continuously variable large red GAIN knob
- Ideal for capturing various audio signals, refining tonal nuances, and elevating euphonic qualities.